See Daniel Handler in conversation with Andrew Sean Greer at Z Space Oct. 11. We hear there may be some accordion and ukulele involved!
Part of Authors in Conversation, along with The Other California: Susan Straight & Michelle Tea. Save $4 when you buy tickets to both conversations.
- 1. What is your favorite book?
- The Black Brook by Tom Drury.
- 2. Who is your favorite writer?
- 3. If the answers to 1 & 2 are different, why?
Oh, who knows? Because one keeps changing one’s mind.
- 4. How old were you when you were first published?
Unless school literary journals count, 29.
- 5. What writing style do you most abhor?
- “As you can see from the following distracting specifics, I have certainly done an awful lot of research.”
- 6. What is your favorite writing cliché?
- People crying in train stations.
- 7. What is your favorite word?
- 8. When and how do you write?
- All day long on legal pads, at home or in secret cafés.
- 9. What is your greatest fear when you first turn in a manuscript?
- That I will die and they’ll publish it anyway, before I get to look it over again.
- 10. In what era do you wish you’d been born?
- This one, but a few visits into the past would be fun.
- 11. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
- “Let’s not go overboard.”
- 12. Which talent would you most like to have?
- Fluency in many languages.
- 13. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
- Giving money away.
- 14. Who is your favorite hero of fiction?
- Ellen Gilchrist’s Nora Jane.
- 15. How would you like to die?
- Suddenly. I’ve already thought about it too much.